What is an Intra-Ocular Lens (IOL)?
An intra-ocular lens, or IOL, is a lens that is surgically implanted to replace the natural lens of the eye. This is done after the removal of a cataract or to correct near-sightedness or far-sightedness without the presence of a cataract. It stays within the eye and works for a lifetime without replacement.
Premium Intraocular Lenses Options-
Monofocal Intraocular Lens IOL
A Monofocal lens is an intraocular lens that can give patients good vision correction for one distance only. The monofocal intraocular lens generally corrects for distance vision so glasses or contacts may be needed to achieve clear vision for close up and intermediate distances after cataract surgery.
- Excellent Vision at One Distance: The Monofocal IOL can improve functional vision at one distance.
- Improved Vision in Most Lighting: The Monofocal IOL can improve the quality of vision at night under low-visibility conditions.
- Enhanced Functionality: The Monofocal IOL delivers high-quality, real-world performance so patients can get back to their daily activities.
Crystalens® Accommodating IOL
Unlike standard cataract replacement lenses, Crystalens lenses correct your cataracts and give you back your full range of vision. Crystalens is an intraocular lens that, unlike a standard IOL, can treat both a person’s cataracts and a person’s presbyopia (loss of near and intermediate focusing ability). Crystalens is designed to recreate your accommodation and reduce or eliminate wearing glasses. With the Crystalens, you can enjoy activities such as: reading a book, working on the computer, and driving a car. Crystalens replaces the eye’s natural lens and is designed to mimic the eye’s natural focusing ability, allowing for vision across a broad range of distances. As with the natural lens, Crystalens moves and flexes, in response to ciliary muscle contractions in the eye. These contractions drive forward movements of the lens so the eye can maintain a clear image as it focuses on near, intermediate and far objects.
- Provides a Broad Range of Vision: Crystalens moves and changes shape using the eye’s natural focusing mechanism, instead of remaining fixed and stationary within the eye. This movement, or accommodation, allows the eye to focus on objects across a broad range of distances. Many patients hardly if ever wear glasses after surgery. In particular, this accommodation provides significant advantages in addressing intermediate vision.
- Maintains Clarity of Vision: Unlike multifocal lenses, Crystalens directs all available light received by the eye to a single focal point, comparable to that of a healthy natural lens.
- Patient Adjustment Not Required: Crystalens produces a single image consistent with normal vision, meaning you do not need to adapt to viewing multiple images. You also do not need to tolerate or adjust to high levels of halos and glare often associated with multifocal IOLs.
Tecnis Multifocal IOL’s
AcrySof ReSTOR is a lens (IOL) for most people with cataracts, with or without Presbyopia. The AcrySof ReSTOR lens is a permanent artificial lens that is convex on both sides and made of a soft plastic. It is folded and inserted into the eye through a tiny incision smaller than the optic diameter of the lens. After insertion, the lens gently unfolds to help restore vision. The supporting arms of the lens maintain proper positioning within the eye. The ReSTOR lens is like two lenses in one. One refractive lens is for distance, and the other for near. ReSTOR is not dependent on the movement of the lens but has a unique Apodized Diffractive optic that is new to IOL design. The optical design of the lens distributes light between near vision and distant vision to accommodate vision at a range of distances.
Tecnis Multifocal IOLs
The TECNIS™ Multifocal family of IOLs offers a full range of vision options personalized to fit your lifestyle with high quality vision at all distances and in any lighting conditions. The TECNIS™ Multifocal IOLs offer a full range of outstanding vision options that allows your doctor to personalize your vision treatment plan to your lifestyle.
- Full Range of Vision: With the TECNIS™ Multifocal IOLs patients enjoy outstanding vision across all distances. (near, intermediate and distance vision)
- Customizable Options: The TECNIS™ Multifocal lens options give patients outstanding vision that is customized to meet their specific lifestyle needs.
- High Quality Vision in any Lighting: Patients will enjoy high performance vision in any light conditions including low-light conditions with this multifocal lens.
Toric Lens Options-
TRULIGN® Toric IOL
See a broader range of vision with the TRULIGN® Toric IOL that is designed to correct your correct your cataracts and astigmatism at the same time. The TRULIGN® Toric intraocular lens is the first Toric IOL that corrects for astigmatism and has the additional capacity to deliver improved vision across a natural range of focus. This Toric lens gives patients a range of vision for everyday activities including computer use, driving and reading.
- Personalized Lens Options: This Toric IOL corrects high levels of astigmatism meeting the needs of 90% of astigmatic cataract patients.
- Broad Range of Vision Correction: The TRULIGN® Toric IOL provides a high quality, sharp, clear broader range of vision after cataract surgery.
- Increased Independence From Glasses: TRULIGN® Toric IOL gives astigmatic patients increased independence from their glasses.
Tecnis Toric IOL
The TECNIS® Toric IOL is designed to correct corneal astigmatism. It can also improve distance vision. may still need distance glasses and will need reading glasses after surgery. Toric IOL’s are ideal for patients who want clear distance vision without glasses. The insertion of a Toric IOL corrects higher levels of astigmatism along with pre-existing nearsightedness or farsightedness. Astigmatism is typically caused by the cornea being shaped more like a football than a basketball. This causes images to focus at different points on the retina, resulting in blurry or double vision. Astigmatism can also be due to irregularities in the shape of the natural lens inside the eye.
For more information or to speak with one of our surgical coordinators please call 315-786-81565.